Mixed Vegan Vegetable Curry
- 1 large onion quartered
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes quartered
- 2 green chilies (reduce if you want less heat)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1" piece of ginger
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil (ghee if you're not Vegan)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder (optional) Use mild curry powder if you do not want it HOT !
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 500 gms chunky, mixed frozen vegetables or fresh - for example, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and peas(optional, sweet potatoes
- Salt to taste (celtic sea salt or himalayan rock salt), Iodized sea salt such as Herbamere by Vogels is good too.
- 4 tbsp thick unsweetened yoghurt (must not be sour), whisked till smooth (use coconut yoghurt if you are dairy free/VEGAN)
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Chop veggies if using fresh veggies.
- Place quartered onion, tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, and garlic into a food processor and grind into a smooth paste. There is no need to add any water to this while grinding as the juices from the tomatoes will provide sufficient liquid.
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep pan on medium heat. When hot, add the above mixture and all the powdered spices.
- Stir and fry/ sauté till the oil begins to separate from the masala. Stir often to prevent the masala from sticking and/ or burning. You may even need to sprinkle some water every now and then to prevent the masala from sticking and burning. Lower the heat to prevent burning.
- When the masala is done (as above), add the mixed vegetables and stir gently (frozen veggies can be added as frozen) .
- Season with salt to taste and add half a cup of warm water.
- Cook till the vegetables are tender but not pulpy/ overcooked
- Remove from heat and stir in the yogurt till fully blended
- Garnish with coriander/cilantro
ENJOY ! Well done ! You have made an authentic asian veggie curry and will think twice about having an Indian take out again !